Saturday, September 14, 2013

Needs More Dojo v0.5: Refactoring Support

For the past couple of months I've been working on an IntelliJ IDEA plugin called Needs More Dojo. It's basically a plugin that makes IntelliJ/WebStorm/etc. aware of conventions and structure of dojo applications. I use dojo at my day job, so it started out of things I noticed could be improved.

I'm very excited about the newest version, 0.5, that was released about a week ago. Although you might not do major refactoring every day, it's painful when you have to do it. Sadly, IntelliJ does not handle dojo's AMD system very well and so when moving files you still have to manually update them.

So Needs More Dojo complements IntelliJ's features by being aware of the AMD system and your project's package structure. Due to this, it will successfully update your import statements with the correct locations. It's taken awhile to build up the code necessary to support refactoring, but I'm glad it's here now.

The next release will be a minor release (0.5.1). For this release I have a few minor enhancements planned so far based on some user feedback and my own roadmap. I'm going to try to space the releases out on a more defined interval instead of sporadic (0.5 took forever to be released for example).

If you have any feature suggestions, head over to the issues page on github and add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment