Friday, March 4, 2011

Interesting observations when putting your software up for download

I've had a few programs up for download as freeware on popular download sites (such as download.com). In fact, my latest program (HTML Combiner) is up there now as well. On my website, I also employ the free statistics tracking software called statcounter.com (a great service).

I'm always amazed by the diversity of people visiting my website. A look at the stats reveals people from across the world, using different OS versions, and especially the site linking to them. A couple interesting observations:
  • Most people (> 50%) of my visitors are using Windows Vista/Windows 7
  • Although the majority (60%) are from the US, that leaves a significant portion from other countries
  • The referring links come from websites that are hosting my software when I haven't submitted it to them. 
I thought the last point was really interesting. There are a lot of software download websites that seem to just pick up the programs and host them without notifying me. Now I'm not giving any specifics because to be honest, I don't mind the traffic and my programs are free anyway. But if they weren't free, I might be more interested in this observation.

This is recurring for each program I've put up for download (3 of them...) and interestingly I find them also posted on warez websites (by a google search) even though my programs are totally free!

No comments:

Post a Comment